“Vengo Ganao” features production from London-based duo Village Cuts, the excellent guitarist Patrick McMahon aka Mahon Sounds and Colombian champeta legend Louis Towers.
Village Cuts has organised a transatlantic meeting between Africa and the Caribbean through the prism of London club culture. This DJ/producer duo, formed in 2018, is setting the dancefloor alight in promotion of new global underground sounds such as champeta, a genre belonging to the folklore of Afro-Colombian music. They are keen to pull it into the modern world, and have partnered with one of its legends, Louis Towers, to do so. The aim was to showcase the talents of the Black Atlantic to a European audience, especially via champeta, a genre from the Afro-Colombian communities of the Caribbean coast, which is experiencing something of a boom right now.
For their debut on Galletas Calientes Records, the duo have dropped a double-title 45 with Colombian champeta legend Louis Towers (“el único papa rasta”) and British virtuoso guitarist Patrick McMahon aka Mahon Sounds. The first track, released in December, has an 80s Congolese electro-soukous style, while “Vengo Ganao” is based on Towers’ Afro-Colombian vocals and transports us to a sunny beach in Barranquilla, where a Caribbean sound system sets the mood.
Although they’ve never before set foot in the promised land of champeta, the duo have managed to feel their way into the genre their use of West African rhythms called “despeluques” (translation: frenzy) and an unprecedented use of one of the most distinguished samples of the Yamaha SK5, the “perreo” – that famous synthesised barking sound typical of Afro-Caribbean music. But beyond its specific characteristics, champeta remains a philosophy first and foremost, one that links Colombia to Africa and shows us the strength of a coastal Africanism that has become a real cultural and musical reference.
Welcome to the wonderful world of African FM - your global African orientated online radio station. We've been in operation since 2001. In fact, we're one of the longest established Afri-centric global stations around! Staffed completely by volunteer broadcasters - many with distinguished careers on radio stations all over the world, we bring the widest range of entertainment and news to the diaspora. We think we must be doing something right as we're the most popular African station on the world's number one radio player app - Tunein - with over 21,600 followers. Add to that over 16,000 monthly listeners from over 150 countries - and now you begin to get the idea about our 'radio family'. Why not join in the fun today !
Newly-engaged Ariana Grande spread some holiday cheer at UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital by donating gifts to patients and their families.
Ariana and her new fiance Dalton Gomez scoured a gift list to choose presents for each age and developmental level for patients across both of the hospital's locations in Westwood and Santa Monica, California, while patients and staff were also treated to meals and pizza.
“Our patients are in love! Especially our Ariana Grande 'superfans” in the house," Kelli Carroll, director of the Chase Child Life program at UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital, said in a statement. “We are thankful for all our wonderful partners who have donated in the past couple of weeks, including Ariana Grande, and for serving the needs of our hospitalised children.
"This pandemic may have changed how we do things, but we look for the same result – to alleviate the stresses of hospitalisation and bring joy to our kids."
Ariana announced her engagement to real estate beau Dalton last weekend, while also showing off her stunning diamond and pearl engagement ring in the process.
So you're an emerging or established musician....or a band looking for exposure to a wider audience. You've hit the jackpot! African FM welcomes submissions from cutting edge, emerging and established artists looking to get their new songs out to a global audience. We have supported a number of great artists on their journey to musical stardom! We airplay the very best in World Music. So...what are you waiting for?
If you have a song, an album, a bio, or news about an upcoming release or tour, then send to us here at African FM today! We'll consider your song(s) for airplay on our station to thousands of listeners all over the globe. We'll also consider highlighting your album release or tour on our main webpage for free!
Remember that by uploading your music - you are confirming -
The Band, Artist, Recording Company or Copyright Holder(s) of the submitted material ("Copyright Owner") hereby grants African FM and its licensees and assigns (www.african.fm - "African FM" ) the following authorisations:
1. Copyright Owner hereby expressly grants to African.fm a non-exclusive worldwide license to digitally transmit, on a non-interactive basis, the sound/video recordings, and the musical composition(s) embodied therein, as specified in this Broadcast Release Agreement.
2. Copyright Owner hereby expressly grants to African.fm a non-exclusive worldwide license to digitally transmit, as part of an non-interactive, non-subscription music program or channel, selections from the sound/video recordings, and the musical compositions embodied therein, specified in this Broadcast Release Agreement.
3. Neither African.fm nor the Copyright Owner shall pay to the other any compensation with respect to the transmissions and reproductions authorised herein.
4. This agreement waives rights to pay Airplay royalties, performance royalties, sound recording licenses, mechanical rights licenses on a complete and totally nonexclusive basis.
5. Copyright Owner represents and warrants to African.fm: (a) that the Copyright Owner has the right to authorise African.fm to reproduce, publicly perform the listed sound recordings and the musical compositions embodied therein; (b) that the Copyright Owner has the right and authority to license all rights granted herein, including, but not limited to, copyright and trademark rights'; performance rights and sound recording rights; (c) that the respondant has been authorised to execute this Broadcast Release Agreement on behalf of the Copyright Owner.
6. Copyright Owner hereby agrees to indemnify and hold African.fm, its officers, directors, employees, agents and assigns, harmless from any fees, penalties, liabilities, claims, losses or damages (including reasonable attorneys' fees) incurred by African.fm as a result of African.fm's transmission, retransmission and/or distribution of the sound recordings and/or musical compositions embodied therein which are identified above in accordance with the terms of this Broadcast Release Agreement or as a result of all other rights granted to African.fm in connection with such sound recordings, musical compositions, trademarks and other intellectual property in accordance with the terms of this Agreement.
7. Copyright Owner further grants African.fm a worldwide, non-exclusive royalty-free license right to use, transmit and display, in connection with the transmissions authorized herein, the name of the sound recording and the musical compositions embodied therein, the composers, the performers, and, if provided by or on behalf of the Copyright Owner, the logo of the performers, biographical information, album graphics and photographs of the performers.
8. The authorisation granted pursuant to this Broadcast Release Agreement may be revoked at any time by the Copyright Owner, provided that the parties agree that such revocation shall become effective only ten (10) days after written notice of such revocation is received by African.fm
9. This Authorisation will be governed in accordance with the internal substantive laws of the United Kingdom, without regard to its conflicts of law principles.